Valva and its baroque air

It was built near the site of a thriving city of the same name, at the time of the Roman Empire. The inhabitants of the Roman city, for the barbarian invasions, abandoned their homes and built higher up on the mountain and founded a new village well Old Valva of which the ruins still remain. In more recent times it was rebuilt again in the valley, the village; in Norman times he was called Balba and was in possession of the local lords.

From 1811 to 1860 he was part of Laviano district, which belongs to the District of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies Campaign.

From 1860 to 1927, during the Kingdom of Italy it was part of the district of Laviano, belonging to the Country Environment.

– Mother Church: dedicated to St. James the Apostle. With three naves, dating back to the eighteenth century. On the front there are three entrances with Baroque portals, the main altar, in marble, is of fine workmanship.
– Chapel of St. Anthony: near Piazza Vittorio Emanuele, the eighteenth-century church has a very small entrance hall with a beautiful stone portal.
– Chapel of Our Lady of the Angels: has a very simple, single-nave structure, located in the apse is a splendid Renaissance-era fresco depicting the Blessed Virgin and Child with Two Angels behind.
– Villa d’Ayala-Valva: 17 hectare park around, finely adorned with statues, in which stands a castle, years ago home of the Ayala-Valva family. It is currently owned by the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. Very important are its gardens, adorned with flowers throughout the year. These gardens occupy the seventh place in the ranking of the most beautiful gardens in Italy after the gardens of Villa Durazzo, who occupy the top spot.
– Old Town.
– Monument to the Unknown Soldier
– Old Valva

TORNA INDIETRO